Seventeen months of a global pandemic has been hard on many things. At MetCredit, it’s really put a damper on one of my favourite initiatives: #MetCreditHelps.
So much of the important work our staff volunteers and I love to do in communities across Canada became more difficult—or even impossible—with events closed and our teams dispersed, working alone from their homes.
But Youth Day 2021 is going to be a phenomenal event, and at MetCredit we’re proud beyond words to be the presenting sponsor. It’s all the more meaningful after the long, unwanted break from normalcy we’ve all endured.
As Youth Day Coordinator Kane Blacque puts it:
“This year, Youth Day Edmonton is going to focused a lot more on fun as well as youth programs. We have arranged to have our guests enjoy a community program pavilion, free food & bottled water, entertainment, live music, bouncy castles, a rock climbing wall, a reverse bungee ride, an outdoor movie, youth sport & dance demonstrations, face painting, a balloon artist, a special guest appearance by Spiderman, and a 15 minute fireworks show at the end of the event—all this could not be possible without MetCredit!”
Fireworks, an outdoor movie and a reverse bungee ride.
Spiderman, a DJ and FREE FOOD!
Did I not mention the event will be incredible?
A few months ago we were not even sure how or IF it would proceed. And yet not only have Kane and his team pulled it all together, this year’s event is going to be the biggest and best Youth Day ever.
After so much isolation and long months of feeling disconnected, it’s a thrilling event to get behind. And especially with SOS, an inspiring organization that does good in numerous ways.
“MetCredit’s generosity and compassion allows us not only to produce SOS Safety Magazine on a quarterly basis,” says Kane, “but also distribute our publication to schools, homes, RCMP detachments, Indigenous communities, health centres, and youth programs all over Canada—free of charge.”
SOS Youth Day kicks off at 12:00 noon, Saturday August 14 at Castle Downs Spray Park (11930 153 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB).
In addition to free food, prizes and the fun activities Kane mentioned, you can join MetCredit at our tent and selfie booth for games, free freezies, hacky sacks, colouring books and plenty of other freebies.
Here is the full itinerary:
NOON AUGUST 14 – Event starts!
- 12pm – 4pm – Information, free bottles water & youth day swag (SOS tent)
- 12pm – 4pm – Virgin Radio & DJ Kwake (gazebo)
- 12pm – 4pm – Presenters Outdoor Pavilion (basketball court)
- 12pm – 4pm – Bouncy Castles (soccer field)
- 12pm – 4pm – Face painters
- 12pm – 4pm – Mojo Photo Booth
- 12pm – 4pm – Spiderman & guests
- 12pm – 4pm – Rockwall & Reverse Bungee (parking lot)
- 12pm – 3pm – Free Food! Quality Fast Foods (parking lot)
- 3:45pm – Prize draws
- 8:30pm – 10pm – Outdoor Movie (soccer field or parking lot) – MINIONS
- 10pm – 10:15pm – Fireworks (baseball field)
- 12pm – 4pm – Ortona Gymnastics Demonstrations (greenbelt beside parking lot)
- 12:30pm/1:30pm – Sung lee Taekwondo (tire pad oval)
- 1pm/2pm – Dance Theme Academy (tire pad oval)
- 2:30pm/3:30pm – BollyX Workout (tire pad oval)
- 7pm – 8:30pm – Cooper Studios singers (gazebo stage)
If you’re near Edmonton, please take advantage of this exciting event and join our MetCredit volunteers and the many other great sponsors. Masks are encouraged: please do what you feel is appropriate to enjoy the day while taking care of everyone’s health. Extra cleaning protocols will be in place as a crucial safety element for the event.
Youth Day 2021 is a huge deal, for all of us!
President and CEO of MetCredit, Canada's top-performing consumer and commercial collection agencyGo to LinkedIn